I often get asked about working with virtual teams and communicating project information around the world. This is often one of the hardest parts of a project managers job and one that I have helped project managers with for years.
Here are a common set of communication tools that I feel are critical to use on all projects, and especially with your virtual team members.
1. Project RACI – Critical for project team members to know exactly what they are assigned to on the project.
2. Gantt Chart / Project Schedule – Again this is a critical tool that project managers can see project tasks over a time scale view. Project team members can see exactly what they are working on and whether they are running on time or late?
3. Budget Spreadsheet – Again, critical tool for project team members to understand what they are costing the project. Vendors/contractors or FTE’s all need to know the actuals and estimates of their hours on a monthly bases.
4. Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) – The WBS is a critical tools for every project manager. PM’s that don’t use WBS’s are not tracking the scope of their projects in a tool that is easy to use, easy to report and all around great tool for the project.
5. Project SharePoint Site / Document Control Center – There is a huge need for project managers to setup a SharePoint site or a place where you store all the project documents. When project team members near or far need access to project documents, they are always available.
There is some of the key project management tools and templates that I feel are critical for project managers to use on their projects. Especially with virtual team members, these tools are critical.
People often ask me where I can get some of these templates from my books and for the tools mentioned above and I am happy to send you here. https://www.dowpublishingllc.com/store-2/
But, I also found a site where they have a whole ton of templates, 7000 to be exact. You could check these out as well. Click Here!
What do you think?
Bill Dow, PMP